March 28, 2016
Contact: Denise Workcuff
Metro Public Affairs
Environmental Assessment released for proposed I-35W/Lake Street improvement project in Minneapolis
Public meetings set for April 5, April 19
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation invites the public to attend two Environmental Assessment open houses regarding proposed improvements to I-35W between 42nd Street and I-94. The EA outlines the project’s purpose and anticipated social, economic, and environmental impacts. The project includes the following improvements:
- A multi-level enclosed transit station at both the freeway and Lake Street levels, with pedestrian and bicycle connections between the Midtown Greenway north of Lake Street and 31st Street south of Lake Street. This is often referred to as the Transit/Access Project.
- Physical improvements to I-35W between 42nd Street and the I-94 Commons including reconstruction or rehabilitation of bridges, reconstructed pedestrian/bicycle bridges at 40th Street and 24th Street, a new southbound ramp to Lake Street, and a new northbound ramp to 28th Street.
- Reconstruction of Lake Street between Blaisdell Avenue and 5th Avenue.
Two open houses will be held Tuesday, April 5, 2016, and Tuesday, April 19, 2016, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Colin Powell Center, 2924 – 4th Avenue South, Minneapolis. There will be a presentation at 6:30 p.m. at both meetings. A court reporter will be available to take verbal comments, and comment cards will be available for people who wish to provide written comments for the public record. Interpreters will be available for those who speak Spanish, Somali or Hmong. These open houses will provide an opportunity for people to learn about the proposed project, make comments and ask questions. Staff from MnDOT, Hennepin County, Metro Transit and the City of Minneapolis will be available to answer questions. Bus service is available on Metro Transit Routes 11, 21 or 53
The EA document is available on the project website at http://www.35lake.com/ea. The document also is available for public review at the following locations:
- Hosmer Library, 347 E. 36th Street, Minneapolis
- Franklin Library, 1314 E. Franklin Avenue, Minneapolis
- Walker Library, 2880 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis
- Central Library, Technical & Science Division, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
- Minneapolis Public Works, Room 203 City Hall, 350 South 5th Street, Minneapolis
- Hennepin County Law Library, C-2451 Government Center, 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis
- MnDOT Library, 395 John Ireland Boulevard, St. Paul
- MnDOT Metro District Water’s Edge Building Lobby, 1500 W. County Road B2, Roseville
Written comments on the Environmental Assessment document will be accepted through April 27 and may be sent to Rick Dalton, Minnesota Department of Transportation, 1500 West County Road B2, Roseville, MN 55113 or Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request an ASL or foreign language interpreter, call 651-366-4720. To request other reasonable accommodations, call 651-366-4718; the Minnesota Relay Service toll-free at 1-800-627-3529 (TTY, Voice or ASCII) or 711, or email your request to ADArequest.email@example.com.
To request this document in an alternative format: Call 651-366-4720 or email your request to ADArequest.firstname.lastname@example.org.